Face Mask Neck Cord | How to Crochet Romanian Cord
This week on Ask Me Monday I solve an issue I never thought would be one, where to put your ear loop, elastic face mask when you’re temporarily not wearing it (ie. in the car). Think, glasses-chain for your face mask!
We’ll learn how to crochet a Romanian Cord, which can be used for any number of projects, from drawstrings to purse handles, but we’ll turn into a face mask neck cord. Here’s the scoop!
See more KP products during “Vic’s Tips” segments of The Knit Show!
Featured Knitter’s Pride Products: Ginger Crochet Hooks
See Crochet Abbreviations & US to UK translation Chart HERE.
Romanian Cord | How to Crochet
- Insert hook in 2nd and 3rd ch from hook. You’ll now have 3 loops on the hook (shown).
- YO, pull loop through the first 2 loops. You’ll now have 2 loops on the hook. YO pull through 2 loops. Stitch finished, you’ll now have 1 loop on the hook.
- Turn hook clock-wise so you see the top of the stitch, which will have one bar, nestled under it like a scarf (see below.)
- Insert hook, from right to left, into the bar; pull through first loop. You’ll now have 2 loops on the hook. YO, pull through both loops.
Ok, now you’re set up and ready to go!
- Turn hook clock-wise so you see what will now look like a scarf that’s been wrapped twice. In other words, there will now be 2 bars. Insert hook, from right to left, into the 2 bars. You’ll now have 3 loops on hook (shown).
- YO, pull through first 2 loops. YO pull through last 2 loops.
Repeat from * until cord is desired length. BO.
Face Mask Neck Cord
Small amount of DK-weight yarn
Size U.S. G/4.5 mm crochet hook (I recommend Knitter’s Pride Ginger’s for this project, because of their point tip.)
Sharp, tapestry needle
2, Lanyard clips
Leaving a 6″/15 cm tail, work Romanian Cord (see above and video tutorial) until piece measures 26″/66 cm (without tail) OR 2″/5 cm shorter than the desired length.
Fasten off, leaving a 6″/15 cm tail.
Assemble neck cord:
- Slide o-ring onto lanyard clip. Repeat for the second set.
- Slide one end of the cord, about 1″/2.5 cm, through o-ring and fold into the loop.
- Feel tail through a tapestry needle. Make a couple of tack stitches to secure.
- Wrap tail multiple times around both widths of the loop. Knot and trim.
- Repeat for the opposite side.
- Clip the face mask neck cord to the elastic ear loops on your mask. You’re done!
Looking for cloth face mask tutorials? Check out my round-up here!