This tutorial is brought to you by Visible Mobile, an app-based cell service offering unlimited talk, text and data for only $40/month!
Sew a Smartphone Cover : Learn How!
1/8 – 1/4 yard (depending on width of your phone) canvas
1/8 – 1/4 yard lining fabric
1, 3 1/2″ x 3/4″ piece leather or faux leather
Hole punch or awl
Sewing pins or clips
Sewing machine or sewing needle
Measure Your Smart Phone
- Measure the width (including around half the sides).
- Measure the length beginning from the top front, down and around to the top back.
TIP: Leave the case ON your phone while measuring to ensure that the cover will fit.
Add Seam Allowances
- Add a 1/4” seam allowance on each side measurement and front and top back. In other words, add 1/2″ total to your width measurement. Here’s an example:
Phone width: 3 1/4″ + 1/2″ = 3 3/4″
Phone length: 12″ + 1/2″ = 12 1/2″
Final measurements: 12 1/2″ x 3 3/4″
- Cut 1 piece of canvas, and 1 piece lining fabric to measurements from above.
Optional: Cut leather piece end at an angle.
- With right-sides together, fold canvas piece length-wise. Using 1/4″ seam allowance, sew up side seams. Trim edges, turn right-side out.
- With right-sides together, fold lining piece length-wise. Using 1/4″ seam allowance, sew up side seams. Trim edges. Wrong-sides will remain out.
Assemble & Finish
- Fold top-edge of canvas piece under by 1/4″ ; press.
- Fold top-edge of lining over by 1/4″ ; press.
- Slip lining piece inside of canvas piece.
- Slip leather piece in between lining and canvas piece, at the middle of the top-back edge. Pin into place.
- Top-stitch around entire top edge.
- Using a hole punch or awl, put a hole through both layers of the lining and canvas, about 1/4″ from the top-center edge. Screw button stud into place.
- Using craft knife cut an X in the leather piece, to correspond with button stud.
Press the whole piece.