As Summer vacation quickly approaches, it’s time to gather an arsenal of activities to keep those kids busy. This week on I Love to Create, I implore parents to encourage your sons and daughters to spend some of those idle months getting crafty! Through August, I’ll be offering a few projects to get those creative-kid juices flowing, beginning today with our first trick: magic wands!
- Using a sponge brush, paint dowel with main color. Paint additional coats, if necessary. Let dry.
- Tape off a line, about 1″ in from the ends of the dowel.
- Using secondary color, paint ends of the dowel. For extra razzle-dazzle, pour glitter over ends, while paint is still wet. Let dry.
- Shake excess glitter off. Remove Tape.
- Add a varnish coat. Ta-da, you’re finished!
Now your little Houdini-Harry Potter-Penn & Teller-Gandolfs can run rampant, spreading crafty magic wherever they go! Oh, and if you’re a child of the 80’s like I am, be sure to torture, I mean delight, your children with renditions of The Steve Miller Band’s “Abracadabra” and America’s “You Can Do Magic”. They’ll love it, I promise.
Read last week’s I Love to Create column here.