Crocheted T-Shirt Potholder
It’s official: school’s out for Summer. For those of us with kids, that means a loooong few months of taxiing, playdating, and otherwise looking for something, anything to keep our offspring occupied. Well, my parental friends, there’s no time like the present to get them crafting — and what says, Summer Camp crafts more than making a pot holder? Well, perhaps a lanyard, but humor me.
This week I thought I’d post a project that had a little something for most ages of children. Thrifting for t-shirts can be done with baby in-tow. Optional coloring on tees, is great for the toddler and pre-schooler set. Cutting the t-shirts and winding into yarn, is great for the kinder and early elementary schoolers. Finally, crocheting that t-shirt yarn into a pot holder will keep a tween and teen busy for a day. You’re welcome.
So grab your jumbo, Amour hook and get ready to think outside the yarn-box, because today kids, we’re crocheting with clothing. Enjoy! — Vickie
Make T-shirt Yarn
Gather 2-3, old t-shirts. I found these at a Goodwill for around $2 each. If you want to add a little flair, use fabric paints and markers to give color to the shirts. This is a great time to get younger kids involved spraying and splattering!
Tip: These Fabric Spray Paints work great!
1. Fold t-shirt in half length-wise, leaving about an 1″-2″/2.5 cm-5 cm between folded edges. Cut off hem.
2. Cut approx 1″ (doesn’t need to be perfect) strips, STOPPING after the first folded edge (leaving the second uncut.) Cut off sleeve & shoulder section.
3. You’ll now have what looks like ribs. Cut first strip from top right to bottom left of first strip. Disregard excess piece.
4. From here, you’ll cut each rib at a diagonal. See the dotted lines in Image 4 as a guide. You’ll end up with a long strip.
5. Gently pull on strip to create rolled “yarn”.
6. Knot strips together from subsequent t-shirt strips.
Wind t-shirt yarn into ball.
Crochet Pot Holder
T-shirt Yarn (Approx. 4 oz., or 2, XL Men’s shirt’s worth)
Size US N/P (10 mm) Clover Amour Hook
9 1/2″/24 cm square
7 sts x 8 rows = 4″/10 cm in single crochet
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and every ch to end. Turn. — 16 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st to end.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures 9 1/2″ / 24 cm. Do not Fasten off.
Ch 10, sl st in base of first ch.
Weave in ends, including those from knotted areas.
Psst! Looking for a knit version of this project? Go here.