Crochet Ball Fringe Coasters
This week on Ask Me Monday we learned how to make the cutest little edging there ever was, Crochet Ball Fringe! Use this technique to embellish tea towels, pillows, and kids garments, or have fun making some seasonal coasters for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and beyond!
See more KP products during “Vic’s Tips” segments of The Knit Show!
Featured Products: Knitter’s Pride Zing! Crochet Hook Set and Rainbow Row Counter Ring
Crochet Ball Fringe
Join yarn to the prepared edge (see video or below) of the fabric, knit, or crocheted piece you’d like to adorn with ball fringe.
Ch 5,* [in 3rd ch from hook, YO, insert hook, YO, pull through 2 loops] 4 times, (you’ll have 5 loops on hook) YO, pull through all loops on hook (first bobble made)*; ch 3, rep from * to ** (second bobble made); sl st into base of first bobble (this will connect both bobbles to create a ball); ch 3, sk next st, sc in next st.
Repeat process until fringe is complete. If you’re working in the round, join with a sl st.
Crochet Ball Fringe Coasters: How-To
1/8 yd Main Color fabric
1/8 yd Contrasting Color fabric
Medium-weight fusible interfacing (optional)
Sewing machine OR hand-sewing needle
Embroidery floss and needle
Lace-weight or sock-weight yarn, or crochet thread
Knitter’s Pride Zing! C/2 (2.75 mm) crochet hook
DIRECTIONS (make 4)
- Cut 4 ½” pieces of both Main and Contrasting fabrics.
- OPTIONAL: Cut 4″ piece of fusible interfacing. Iron on to Main fabric piece, according to manufacturer directions.
- With WS facing and using a 1⁄4″ seam allowance, sew Main and Contrasting pieces together, leaving an opening for turning.
- Turn piece RS out. Press.
- Top stitch around entire piece.
- Using embroidery floss, needle, and video as a guide Blanket Stitch at 1⁄4″ intervals around RS of sewn coaster.
Add Crochet Ball Fringe
- Join yarn at one corner of the coaster, at the first Blanket Stitch. Crochet Ball Fringe (see above or video) around the coaster, joining rnd with a sl st.
Fasten off. Knot to secure. Trim ends.