I Love to Create: Hand Dyed & Knitted CowlKerchief
There’s something magical about being able to dye your own yarn to any shade you wish, especially when that yarn is intended for a simple project that’s perfect for showing that color off. Today on I Love to Create, I show how easy it can be to be the designer of your own palette, with the help of a craft store dye kit. Bonus, once you’ve customized your yarn, you can knit it up into a modern “CowlKerchief”! Here’s how.
- Flip through the Custom Dye Kit “Color Recipes” booklet. Choose your color from the palette–I went with a purple-grey called, “Horizon”.
- Following the recipe for your chosen color, mix dye with 1 gallon of hot water & 3 Tbs of salt in the sink or a large pot.
- Immerse yarn in dye bath. Gently stir, continuously (taking care not to agitate so much, that the yarn felts) for 15 minutes, then occasionally every 5-10 minutes for the next 45 minutes.
- Remove yarn from dye bath and rinse with cool water & gentle soap. Make sure not agitate while washing!
- Roll yarn in towel, removing excess water. Place on hanger; let dry.
- Wind into ball.