How to Crochet a Heart
This week on Ask Me Monday I show how to crochet a heart ornament for the Galentine or Valentine in your life. Beginning with a magic circle and crocheted in just one round with a combination of chains, double crochet, and triple crochet stitches, this heart is a quick and addicting make. Finished off with a square knot macramé hanger, this project would also make a sweet keychain. I used avocado-dyed cotton for the example, but any fiber — from leather lacing to bulky wool — would work.
Sending love your way!
See more KP products during “Vic’s Tips” segments of The Knit Show!
How to Crochet a Heart Ornament
Small amount of any weight yarn.
Crochet hook (size to correspond with DOUBLE STRAND of chosen yarn)
Varies based on yarn chosen.
Does not matter for this project.
Abbreviations can be found here.
Using a *DOUBLE STRAND of yarn, a 12″ tail, and the magic circle method, work the following stitches in the center circle:
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 3 tr, 3 dc, tr, 3 dc, 3 tr, ch 3; join ch with a sl st in center ring.
Fasten off, leaving an equal length tail as the beginning tail. You should have 4 strands total of tail.
Macramé hanger (use video as a guide)
The hanger is made by creating a series of square knots as follows:
Flip the heart piece upside down so the tail strands are hanging downward.
- Take the leftmost strand OVER the center two strands (It will look like the number 4) and UNDER the rightmost strand.
- Take the rightmost strand UNDER the center two strands and up THROUGH the loop created by the last step.
- Pull taught.
- Take the rightmost strand OVER the center two strands (It will look like the number 4) and UNDER the leftmost strand.
- Take the leftmost strand UNDER the center two strands and up THROUGH the loop created by the last step.
- Pull taught. Square knot complete
Repeat Steps 1-6 until you have 2″/5 cm of macramé. leaving about 1″/2.5 cm of unknotted yarn, tie a plain knot to tie-off piece and create the hanging loop. Trim tails.
*Double strand necessary component for the macramé hanger. If you choose to crochet a chain hanger or other method, then a single strand of yarn will suffice.
More Valentine’s Projects
- Knit Heart Plushie
- Boho Wallhanging
- Mooshy Gooshy Crochet Cowl
- Open Crochet Heart Motif
- Paper & Yarn Galentines
- Love Rocks Knit Neck Garland
Ask Me Monday is the longest-running Facebook Live series in the needlecraft genre. As always, you can find all episodes of this series under the Ask Me Monday playlist on the Videos section of my Facebook page. Enjoy!