This Independence Day add a little patriotic flair to your BBQ bash, with these adorable, sparkler-inspired flowers. Stick these crafted cuties in planters around your patio, in milk glass vases (filled with marbles) on your picnic table, or peaking out of napkin rings at each place setting. They’re quick & fun to make and their retro-kitsch look will have you feeling nostalgic for some good ol’ fashioned, American-style celebration complete of course, with fireworks and apple pie!
- To make the flower, lay out about 12″ of the wider ric-rac. Using Fabric Fusion, glue on a strip of thinner ric-rac on top of wider version. Let dry.
- Using needle and thread, sew a running stitch through both layers of ric-rac. Pull on thread until ric-rac bunches up. Pinch the bunch into a circle so that the bumps look like flower petals, and sew into place.
- To create the stem, cover a pointy stick (I used kabob skewers) with a layer or two of white paint. While it’s still wet, completely cover the stick with glitter. Let dry.
- Hot glue stem onto back of flower.
- Sewn onto a little girls’ dress.
- Turned into a jacket brooch, by adding a pin to the back.
- Glued onto the back of a clip-on earring and made into a kitschy shoe clip.
- Glued onto card-stock for 3-dimensional cards.
- Sewn to a long piece of ribbon and tied onto a present.